Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Power of Music

So I was driving in my car today on my way to meet a friend for lunch (yes I went out for lunch instead of spending the whole day packing) and I was listening to music and a song came on so I began to focus on the lyrics of the song. The song was a cover, so at first I just was trying to figure out what it was, but then I began to actually listen to the lyrics and I realized that a few of the lines hit close to home. Anyway it made me start to think how powerful music is. Sometimes just listening to a song I find I can relate to the lyrics of the song. For example The Dixie Chicks new song "Not Ready to Make Nice", I realize what the song was written for but it had a different meaning to me. Then there are other times when I will hear a song and it will take me back to that exact moment when I heard that song. One that still sends goose bumps up and down by spine is "I Try" by Macy Gray. Dancing to that song I recieved my first kiss, and something about that song brings everything about that moment back. Or when I hear "I think We're Alone now" I think of the many hours my sister and I spent coming up with the perfect dance routine for the song! Or one of my favorite songs is probably "The Dance" by Garth Brooks. That song not only reminds me of an amazing person, who I was so close to and knew me better than anyone else ever did and ever will. We thought of it as our song. But the song also has a deeper meaning because when I listen to the lyrics it represents the relationship that we had. I wouldn't trade what we had for anything, regardless of the pain it may have caused. But he knows he is still special regardles....And will always hold a very special place in my heart.
Anyway my point is, I just find it amusing how certain songs can trigger different emotions. I know for many song writers, they write the lyrics to songs to express how they are feeling, and it is away for them to deal with their emotions. So I really like the idea that I as a listener can take something from an artists music, and once and awhile enjoy a song for more than a good beat.
I just bought the newest India Arie cd "Testimony: vol. 1, Life and Relationship". It deals with breaksup and heartache. Granted I am not going through, or have been through a breakup recently that I needed this album. But it is a really good cd, I can see how it would have been healing for her to write, and I can see how listening to it would be healing.......
So the next time you are listening to a song......... what does it make you think of?

No comments: