Thursday, September 28, 2006

Its all who you know....

So a week or so ago my sister mentioned that one of her friend's mom is a teacher in Merritt. I guess she has never called in sick, so she has a lot of sick days collected over the years. So jokingly my sister said to her friend, well you should tell your mom to start taking them, and she should ask for my sister! Anyway so this morning my phone rings at 7am and I thought it was a call for today... But they were phoning to book me for tomorrow. She said the name of the teacher and the school, and that I would be in a grade 3/4 class for the day. I was so excited, to be called for elm. school. So I come out to the kitchen to share my news, and I said the name of the school. And my sister was like who is the teacher.. So I said her name and she was like "hey that is Kate's mom"... So I think this is really exciting. I am not sure if this teacher requested me or not... But it would be kind of cool if she did. So my goal is to make an excellent impression so that I get called for her again :)
I went to a TOC union meeting yesterday and learned some interesting information. They sort of explained how the call out procedure works. And the first people to get called are those who are preferred in the district and requested. Then they go on a rotation, starting with those who live in Merritt. But this is exciting for me, because if this lady has as many sick days saved up as it sounds like it, then maybe I will get lots of work in her class.. And if other teachers see my face around there, maybe they will request me too hehe :) Regardless I can't wait to be in an elm. class again.
This morning, when I came home from running a couple of errands, the elm. school near my place was doing a run (I am thinking maybe terry fox) so there were hundreds of kids just running downt he street. So I couldn't help but stay outside for a few min and watch. It was interesting to see, I recognized a few kids from when I did my volunteer work there years ago. It just shows me how much I miss working with children at that level, and I can't wait til that happens for me...

No comments: