Thursday, January 11, 2007

Teaching in 2007?

Well this is the first week back to school since Christmas break. I got up bright and early Monday morning, not really thinking I would get the call, but I figured it was good to start getting into a routine again. No more sleeping in for me! Tuesday morning, same thing, I got up, and no call... Until around 730 when the phone rang. It startled me especially when it said it was the school board. She was calling to book me for Wednesday afternoon. Yes it kind of sucks to drive all that way to only teach from 1230-3, but I was thinking to myself, hey at least I got a call, which means money will be put into my bank account. Early Tuesday evening it began to rain, and I thought to myself, oh that will be fun if it freezes over night. But my mom was watching the weather channel (which cant be trusted by the way!) and it was supposed to stay above freezing. Well a little while later, I look out the window, and the rain has progressed to snow. I pointed this out to my mom, who then turned back to the weather channel, and was still convinced it wouldn't be a big deal, it only called for 1cm overnight.. So we watched the People's Choice Awards. When that was done I looked outside and it had sort of stopped snowing, which was a good thing. So I decided to be a good daughter and go shovel the driveway so that my mom or dad didn't have to deal with it in the morning. So I get out there and let me tell you how much fun that way. Under the snow of course was ice, due to the rain previous. And my driveway has a bit of an incline, so I slid to the bottom a few times. Lucky for me two of my neighbors were out and they actually came and helped me shovel my driveway. So after I did that, I came in, and started to worry about the drive the following morning. If my driveway was slick, what would the roads be like. Then I get a call from my youngest sister, trying to figure out how she would get home from her friends house, since her friends dad was stuck at the bottom of Summitt (one of the main roads), and he was walking home. The roads were awful! So I started to worry some more, and I came to my computer and looked up the highway conditions. It said that they were slippery but the sanders and plows were out. So I figured ok, by the time I have to leave here, it will be fine.. Well I didnt' sleep well that night, and I was wide awake at 7am. So I got up looked out the window to see that more snow had fallen and you couldn't even tell I had shovelled. Then my mom was listening to the radio, and there was a travel advisery out for the highway from here to Merritt. Basically saying please dont' travel unless absolutley necessary. So my mom starts asking if I can get out of going, because she didn't want me driving. I thought about it for a few moments, and then decided to phone the call out lady and just talk to her. All I have to say is that I am so thankful that she is such an understanding woman. She told me that my safety was very important, and not to worry she would find someone else, and I would not be penalized. I was disappointed that I didn't get back into the teaching thing, but at the same time I was glad I didn't have to take that chance. And I guess it is a good thing I didn't go, because currently my dad is stuck in Merritt because he didn't want to chance the roads home yesterday!
So all I can pray for, is that this crazy weather soon comes to an end, and the teaching calls pick up again :) On another note, I have started to apply to other cities again, so I am hoping something works out...

No comments: