Thursday, November 30, 2006

weather is hurting my bank account...

Well this will be the 3rd week of no teaching. However, a couple of these days were my own fault. I have called twice this week to say I was unavailable due to the roads. They are so slick in town, there is no way I am willing to drive to Merritt. It sucks though because I miss teaching so much, and I miss the pay cheque that it brings with it! I have been stressing out a lot lately. When they started closing highways and stuff due to weather. I didn't know what I was supposed to do. I didn't want to risk my life for $200 but at the same time I didn't want to be turning down calls and getting myself taken off the list. So on Monday night I went into work and had a huge talk with my manager Alex. He is seriously the worlds greatest person ever. He told me that if I needed/wanted some extra hours at work he would give them to me no problem. He said he didn't like the thought of me driving on these road conditions either. His only concern, like mine was that if I kept not teaching, it would hurt my future... So then the following day I talked to the union rep and he told me that I should not be penalized for saying no for bad road conditions, but if I were to blanket it and say I am not available for the winter, I would most likely have myself removed from the list. So of course this started the stress all over. so Wed morning I got up and waited for a call just in case. Cuz I was like well I guess I just need to suck it up.. Well Wed it started to snow and stuff, and the roads got bad, and I started thinking there is no way I can drive to Merritt tomorrow, and this was backed up by both my mother and Alex. So I called the call out lady and just left a msg with her saying I would be unavailable for today. Then I checked my email and she had actually gotten back to me, telling me that it would never be expected for me to drive in conditions that I did not feel comfortable with. And with winter, it would not be seen as a refusal. Thank goodness. So that seriously lifted so much weight off my shoulders. And the weather is supposed to warm up a bit, so maybe it will help with the roads. I am just glad to hear, that this winter is not going to hurt my future in teaching, and even though it is the last thing I wanted to do, I can fall back on CT and get some extra hours.... and on that note I should probably get ready for work since i have to be there in a bit...

No comments: