Monday, October 16, 2006

ADRP paid off?

Well for those of who you were in the education program with me, you will all remember the painful months that we learned ADRP. There was so much to take in, and I know we all complained. Well last week I was called to TOC for two days at the high school, today and tomorrow. So I show up today, to find out that instead of teaching, I was now going to take part in doing student assessment. (for whatever reason the teacher i was going to be working for, chose to back out, so i got to take his place and he taught his classes). Anyway so I got a 10 min crash course on this DART assessment,what was going to take place and what to do. So as the one teacher is showing me how to score the reading, I was like wow... ADRP is flooding back to me. Things like self correction, and omission, sounding out, insertion and all the little codes all came back. So i was like oh ok I am kind of familiar with this system so we should be good to go! So I was paired up with another teacher who has been doing this for a couple of years, and in the second period we had our first group of grade 9's. So I would just go up to them while they working on some comprehension questions and ask them to read me a paragraph, I would make observations, ask them about any reading strategies they may have and move on to the next student. So we did this for two blocks, and then had lunch. Then this afternoon we started to mark. I was kind of worried, but once again things from school came back to me. We were given rubrics, and examples of what a 2, 3, 4, 5 would be etc. So we each would read a paper, give it a score, and then pass it to the next person. We did this with six papers, and found that we were fairly consistant with our marks. So then we got in smaller groups and just started marking these papers.. It was kind of interesting. Tomorrow I am supposed to be going back to continue marking, and we have one more group of students to get through. So it should be fun! But I was told by another teacher this will look great on my resume! All I said was that is good to know! haha... So I guess maybe ADRP wasn't the end of the world after all....

No comments: